What is Harmonite®
The unique combination of particle size, surface characteristics, and composite organic/inorganic matrix make Harmonite a versatile, multi-functional, operation-friendly base compound or performance additive that can:
• Improve current formulations by increasing tack, viscosity, hardness, durability, and shortening cure times depending on application.
• Reduce or eliminate the consumption of higher cost formulation ingredients such as plasticizers, tackifier resins, aromatic oils, titanium dioxide, powdered coal, hard clay, petroleum pitch, and Gilsonite®
Harmonite is an asphaltene and resin rich product – a high molecular weight complex mixture in which lighter weight fractions have been driven off due natural oxidative aging and patented high heat processing steps. Asphaltenes have been shown to:
• Exhibit polymeric behavior
• Be soluble in aromatics and longer straight-chain hydrocarbons, and insoluble in alcohols and water
• Increase viscosity and stiffness, and harden softer petroleum fractions
The organic phase has a very high percentage of polar compounds — resins and asphaltenes. Test data indicates a resin and asphaltene content that is up to 2.5 times higher than traditionally used commodity asphalt binders.
Polar compounds have been shown to exhibit van der Waals forces and hydrogen bonding, producing polymeric behavior that forms longer chain, intertwined molecules.
The result: increased adhesion and 'tackiness' compared with traditionally used asphalt binders and specialty additives.
Harmonite is a finely-divided powder that is operations-friendly
It flows well at room temperature, and blends and homogenizes formulas readily. Harmonite compounds are easy to use in a variety of field application methods – roll, brush, spray, trowel, or peel and stick.
Particle shape, size and count play key roles
Like English muffins — lots of nooks and crannies — Harmonite provides significant surface area and sites to aid binding mechanisms: 763 square feet/lb of Harmonite and 979 square feet/lb of Harmonite Plus. Harmonite is comprised of an extremely large number of small particles vs the small number of larger particles. Particle number and volumetric particle size distributions give significantly different distributions and both can play a role depending on application.
Find out how Harmonite can improve your formulation — contact Pearce Daley email@example.com; 813-977-0202
Gilsonite® is a registered trademark of the American Gilsonite Company.
Harmonite particle morphology, size distribution and count distribution